Monday, April 25, 2011

Straight Hair cont'd...

For those of you who had some questions about the straight perm I got...

-yes, this keratin straight perm is totally for non-asian hair as well.

- Of the 2 straight perms Glenn does, I chose the 2% one (whatever that means) which should leave my hair straight for 2 - 3 months. Then it will slowly become more wavy again. I was considering the 0% perm, which wouldn't make my hair straight at all. I'd still have wavy hair, but the perm would seal my cuticles and split ends, making my hair a lot shinier and healthier looking. Something to consider for those of you who want to keep your beautiful waves!

- The downside to these straight perms is how EXPENSIVE they can be--especially if you're like me, and have a lot of hair! But here's a little inside tip that you didn't hear from me! I hear that Groupon might have something coming up, specifically for this! ;)

- For those of you who don't live in L.A., and are looking for a place to get this done... I would make sure it's a nice place. You don't want to do it anywhere, because if they don't do it right, it could damage your hair! That's happened to my mom once, and it was very sad. Make sure it's a legitimate salon, and ask lots of questions:
--Make sure there's no formaldehyde in the formula.

--Will this damage my hair at all?

--Is this a perm that has to grow out? Or will it wash out over time? (Washing out is preferable, or atleast a combination of the 2. If it has to grow out, that could be inconvenient)

--Once you get it done, ask what kind of shampoo you should use. With mine, I was recommended to not use shampoo that has any kind of "sulfate" in it. Organic shampoo is probably preferable, because it won't have any detergents in it. Sulfate is the stuff in shampoo that makes it lather. If you need a lather in your shampoo, it's fine to use that kind of shampoo, but your perm won't last as long.

--The whole process only took 2 hours!

I hope I've helped answer some of your hair questions! If you have some extra time, you should Garance Doré's blog about her Keratin straightening experience (I love her!): Three Days After. She is writing about her 3rd day in (which is the day that I am on!). I have to--HAVE TO--wash my hair tonight finally, and I can't wait to see the results!

love,
p. ahn

I hope this answers some of your questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment